Friday, March 27, 2009

Alyeska -Day2, 1st day skiing

What an exciting day - I awoke to report of 24-28" of snow! Got up to the hill when it usually opens at 10:30am. The report from Mountain Operations was not till 1pm. wow. Basically the entire "HeadWall" and surrounding slopes slid. In some areas the avalanche debris was 28 feet deep! So I took my first run down from the Mtn toward town. This is my gliding down Davos Street.

I took a walk around the small town of Girdwood and visited the local ski shop: World Cup. It was cool. Then I headed back up the hill and found the guys of Tough Guy Productions (http://www.toughguyproductions.com/). I rode with them and a kid named Thom for a while. We ran into Brooke who has organized Telepalooza. Telepalooza is the reason I'm here! We skied for a while, and I proceeded to look like a beginner all day. I did so many somersaults! Turns out my right boot is broken. So I will need to get that figured out. I may just end up getting some new ones. We'll see. It was pretty cloudy most of the day, but we did get a couple breaks and were able to see the Turnagain Arm.

Lots and Lots of fun. Never skied with so many ripp'n Teleskiers before. It was awesome - but wholly cow am I tired and sore! I walked to the grociery and bought a whole bunch of food cuz I was starving. Then I had to carry it all back to the hostel - that wasn't easy. I fixed myself some dinner, then promptly passed out.

No comments: