Thursday, March 26, 2009

First Day in Alaska!

First - a Big thanks to Sebastian who woke up at 5:30am and drove me to the airport. I checked in my bags - and boarded my flight to Seattle. Then short transfer to another plane and then toward Alaska! The scenery is always so amazing when flying to Alaska.

And I got to watch Slumdog Millionaire with the DigEplayer from Alaska Airlines. Really cool.
I arrived to cloudy skies in Anchorage and had a fun time finding a ride from Anchorage to Alyeska. I finally found a ride on a "bus line" which turned out to be a van stuffed with supplies and some people. Regardless - the scenery was great. I even took a little nap and they missed my stop. No worries, they turned around and dropped me off at the gas station outside of Girdwood. After a few tries, I hitched a ride with a nice contractor up to the Hostel. It worked out well. Snow falling all day and I headed toward the mountain to get some grub. I ended up going to the Sitzmark for some tacos. I met a couple locals - Ryan and Gwen. They are going to show me around the mountain on Thursday. Did some work, then the live music started playing so I enjoyed that. Then headed home to get some Zs before my first day skiing in Alaska!

2 comments:

reeb said...

sounds like you're really winging it on your travel plans g. What's funny is that if you do it, it is being adventurous. And if I did it with my wife and kid it would likely be deemed irresponsible (at least I'm imagining that if we were to hitch a ride in alaska).

-Beer

Anonymous said...

2 things: ever watch Into the Wild?
2) You were in Girdwood and didn't stop at the "Double Muskey"??? Only the best Steakhouse in America! Stop on your way back. It'll make a vegetarian like meat again.
-reichert